Photo Gallery by Jerome Foster

Breeding Crested Caracaras: A Growing Presence in Trinidad

Crested caracaras (Caracara cheriway) are still considered a rare species in Trinidad, but as illustrated here with a pair photographed along the Manzanilla Mayaro highway, they are busy at breeding, like most other birds during the mating season. Their numbers (and observations) are multiplying, and I have no doubt in the next 5 -10 years they will be considered uncommon rather than rare here.

Birds of a Feather – Smooth-billed Ani Family

A flock of thirteen immature Smooth-billed anis (Crotophaga ani) all huddled together for warmth, on a single branch in the early chilly morning. This species is one of the most communal you will find here in Trinidad, and you rarely see one bird by itself. Taken January 26, 2019 in Aranguez, Trinidad.

Why did the Water Mapeprire Cross the Road

A chance encounter with a Brown-banded snake (Helicops angulatus), also known as a Water mapepire, in Aranguez, Trinidad on January 24, 2022. The fields had been flooded from heavy rain and late in the evening this specimen decided to crawl from one flooded area to the other across the roadway.

The Wood Rail – A day out with the Kids

Record of an immature Rufous-necked wood rail (Aramides axillaris) seen in Caroni Swamp on October 1st, 2022. This was one of several young birds following behind an adult on the northern side of the main channel across from the Visitor’s Centre.

Author: Jerome Foster

Bird (and other wildlife/nature) photographer in my spare time. I enjoy nature in general, but birds have become a main focus within that sphere.